Biomedical engineering researchers at the Public a more affordable, more widely usable eye tracking device.(UPNA) are developing
Such devices note where people are looking, and the technology has been used primarily to help people with disabilities (to interact with a computer cursor, for example) and to perform market research (to learn what consumers find attractive).
The idea behind our project is to come up with eye tracking at a low cost, and in such a way that the user can install the software in his or her device and use a webcam for the purpose, without needing additional illuminators or very expensive optical components.”
—Arantxa Villanueva-Larre, head project researcher, UPNA
New possibilities for using eye tracking include incorporating the technology into videogames or driving. For example, drivers whose eyes were not focused forward for a specified period might be alerted by eye-tracking software to pay attention to the road.
How is technology changing your life for the better?
© Tony Leininger and IT for Good 2012. See sidebar for full copyright notice.
- Paralyzed man sends the first ever tweet created with eye movement (geek.com)
- Check Out 16 Revealing Eye-Tracking Heatmaps (businessinsider.com)
- Tobii after the Intel investment, eye tracking for ultrabooks? (armdevices.net)
- Smart devices getting smarter with eye tracking (eyetrackingupdate.com)
- Paint with Your Eyes: Grinbath’s EyeGuide Assist Mouse Replacement Tool Allows Users to Create Masterpieces without Lifting a Brush (prweb.com)
- Eye tracking: the future of in-flight entertainment (eyetrackingupdate.com)